compton bassett chapel
Upper Marlboro, MD
Design of Exterior Envelope Repairs
Civil and Structural Design Repairs
Design Solutions for Water Penetration
Bid and Procurement Assistance
Permits and HAWP Assistance
2017 AIA MD DESIGN AWARD
The Compton Bassett Chapel, owned by Maryland-National Capital parks and Planning Commission, has reached completion in the 2017 New Year. Traditionally used as Survey General Clement Hill Jr.’s office but later as the Hill family chapel when public Catholic service was banned, the Compton Bassett Chapel is one of Prince George’s County’s greatest preservation achievements. The buildings’ Georgian style architecture is reflected in the symmetry of the site plan with four dependencies placed at the four corners of the home, one in each compass direction. One of these buildings is the chapel. Constructed in 1779, it was built prior to the construction of the existing 1798 mansion. The brick structure is distinguished by its steep gable roof.
As the Preservation Architect and Architect of Record, DBA led the full exterior and partial interior restoration of the historic chapel. In 2013, the southeastern wall of the chapel structure collapsed pulling down part of the chimney during a 2013 storm event. DBA ensured its appropriate reconstruction which included rebuilding the historic hearth.