PERRY POINT GRIST MILL AND MANSION HOUSE
Veterans administration medical center
Perry Point, MD
Grist Mill: 4,000 SF
Mansion: 8,000 SF
During the mid-18th century, the Thomas family established a generous plantation at Perry Point along the Chesapeake Bay. This strategic site was acquired by the federal government in 1918 and the site today accommodates a large hospital facility for the Veterans’ Administration. The 1721 Grist Mill and 1750 Mansion House are the two oldest structures owned by the Veterans Affairs.
The expansive 280 acre site was once the location of a Susquehannock Native American community and their burial grounds are still scattered about the premises. A significant archaeological component was included in the scope of work to ensure no disturbance was done to these sites.
Davis Buckley Architects and Planners (DBA), as the Preservation Architect and Architect of Record, repaired and restored the 1721 Perry Point Grist Mill and 1750 Mansion House. DBA developed a detailed conditions assessment for each structure which guided the design for the preservation plan and rehabilitation of these two structures to the era of historical significance as approved by the Maryland Historical Trust. DBA’s design also successfully underwent the Section 106 Review.
As of 2017, the project is fully completed. In order for the Grist Mill to meet the needs of the Perry Point V.A. Medical Center, wood flooring was replaced, windows were restored and hardware was replaced with historically accurate replicas. The mansion’s interior underwent a full restoration and renovation and now meet ADA requirements. Other scope items included designing a large warming kitchen, developing an interior paint schedule, and refinishing wood floors that were previously covered with carpet and tile.
The projects have been reviewed for LEED compliance and geothermal wells have been installed in both buildings.